Friday, December 17, 2010

A Shocking Realization

Today I realized something very important. In just nine days I will leave for the first leg of my ultimate expedition: skiing.  I've never been skiing. I don't even like playing in the snow. But, I realize that in my quest to become a true New Englander, I must learn to ski. Here are some other habits that must be formed before one is deemed worthy of a New England (especially Portland) title:
-You MUST walk out in front of every car you see driving down the road, even if you don't plan on crossing the road. It keeps the drivers alert and gives the pedestrian an adrenaline rush.
-Dunkin' Donuts is a religion which holds the faith of 95% of New Englanders. Dunkin' lovers are very dedicated, with millions of followers flocking to worship in temples every morning on their way to work. In fact, there are 13 DD temples within a five mile radius of my house.
-Driving more than 1.5 miles to attain any life necessities is absurd, especially if you live within city limits. 
-Your children actually walk to school, even if they live a mile away.
-It is a sin to order seafood anywhere except the East Coast.
-The New England Patriots, the Boston Celtics, and the Red Sox are all claimed by Mainers. So, if you wear a Yankees hat downtown, there's a good chance you might not make it home alive. 

I can safely say that I've adopted most of these practices except the first one. I especially refrain when I see a Toyota Prius coming down the road (just in case).

Although I leave in two weeks for the first five parts of my journey (skiing, Times Square, Amsterdam, Germany, and Costa Rica), I have still done virtually nothing regarding my Amtrak expedition. So, I am requesting your help. I will stop at the following cities in this order:
-Chicago
-St. Paul/Minneapolis
-West Glacier, MT
-Seattle
-Portland, OR
-Eugene, OR
-Redding, CA
-Sacramento
-Salt Lake City
-Denver
-Omaha
-Osceola, IA
-Galesburg, IL
-Albuquerque
-Los Angeles
-Tuscon
-Houston
-New Orleans

I have some activities planned for the majority of the cities, but if anyone has any suggestions of inexpensive (or free) things to do or places to stay in any of these locations, let me know! I basically have Chicago covered, as well as Sacramento, Omaha, Osceola, Houston, and New Orleans, but I'll take any suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. Gabbie,
    When will you be in the Denver area? Regina will be in Colorado Springs from Jan 18 till the beginning of March. Just let her know your schedule and even if she isn't there she can totally hook you up.
    Happy New Year.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete